The blogs in this series on clustered Data ONTAP 8.3 are focused on the new features that enhance nondisruptive operations and efficiency. Specific to efficiency enhancements, in addition to Advanced Drive Partitioning and IPspaces which were already discussed in prior blogs, other new features include System Setup 3.0, System Manager 8.3, VVOL support, FlexClone for SVI and Networking improvements.
- System Setup 3.0 – quick and easy setup in <10 minutes of a net-new cluster. Self-setup, wizard based and supports all configurations.
- System Manager 8.3 – onbox element management GUI eliminates requirement for a specific Java version on the client, simplifying management.
- VVOL – full support for VMware virtual volumes. See NetApp Unlocks The Power Of VMware VVOLs for details.
- FlexClone for Shared Virtual Infrastructures – reduce time to deploy, clone, recompose, and patch virtual machines. Create 2x the number of clones in parallel compared to Data ONTAP 8.2. 3x improvement in clone virtual machine delete speeds and 3x increase in the number of delete requests that can be accepted.
- Networking improvements – many aspects of clustered Data ONTAP networking have been enhanced and simplified. For example, Failover groups can now be configured automatically.