As businesses strive to achieve faster time to market and greater customer satisfaction, they must improve the speed and responsiveness from key business operations. IT leaders recognize the benefits of all-flash storage for delivering consistent, low-latency I/O to critical workloads.
The right all-flash storage can yield significant benefits for your business by accelerating applications, speeding up important decisions, and increasing the satisfaction of end users and customers. Flash must be enterprise-grade to reach its full potential, and the All Flash FAS (AFF) 8000 series which ships with Data ONTAP FlashEssentials innovations, is designed for the enterprise buyer.
FlashEssentials helps you understand the benefits of All Flash FAS and the clustered Data ONTAP operating environment and how those benefits translate to more efficient IT operations and better business outcomes. FlashEssentials encapsulates all the flash innovations and optimizations derived from NetApp’s advanced technology development lab and are incorporated into clustered Data ONTAP.
When it comes to designing enterprise-grade storage systems to take full advantage of today’s solid-state disks (SSDs), it’s essential to minimize latency, reduce wear, and maximize usable capacity. Data ONTAP with its Write Anywhere File Layout (WAFL) excels at all three and is uniquely suited for flash media due to its:
- Coalesced writes to free blocks, maximizing performance and flash media longevity
- Random read path redesigned from ground up for flash
- Efficiency savings up to 933x
In addition, industry-leading data resiliency mechanisms such as RAID DP, in-core checksums, lost write protection, read-after write verification, and media scans improve resiliency.
Enhancements that improve SSD durability and life include metadata and user data that are coalesced in memory and then destaged intelligently to the SSD subsystem, minimizing wear by reducing the amount of writes dispatched to the SSDs. Data is never overwritten in place. Writes are striped across multiple SSDs, resulting in more even wear.
We’ve further enhanced the native capabilities of clustered Data ONTAP with:
- Integrated inline efficiencies, including the newly enhanced inline compression plus inline zero-block and always-on deduplication, which provide 5x to 10x space savings on average
- Simplified installation, support and monitoring
- Flash performance enhancements every six months, and over 200 flash-related patents
With built-in software-defined access to flash, we provide:
- Live workload migration between flash and HDD tiers, on premises or to the cloud, in support of Data Fabric, our vision for the future of data management.
- QoS safeguards service-level objectives (SLOs) in multiworkload and multi-tenant environments
- Dramatic application acceleration that enables consolidation of server and software license costs
The AFF 8000 series is very competitive, with leadership positions in the following features valued by the enterprise buyer:
- Leading application integration with Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Citrix, VMware, etc. (the only VMware VCAI-certified all-flash array)
- Integrated backup and disaster recovery: application-consistent backup (SnapManager)
- The only all-flash array to support synchronous replication with MetroCluster
- Handles both SAN and NAS workloads in scale-up and scale-out environments, extending from flash to disk to cloud
- Nondisruptive operations with no downtime for tech refreshes, upgrades and maintenance
- QoS performance management
- Ability to seamlessly move data, and replicate to AFF, hybrid, or all-HDD targets
- Seamless scale-out to >4M IOPS and 16PB of effective capacity
In addition to the enterprise features, the AFF offers impressive performance. In a recent SPC-1 benchmark, the All Flash FAS8080EX delivered 685,000 SPC1 IOPS, ranking in the top 5. For database environments, AFF delivers 309K IOPS at 1ms latency for Oracle database 12c (see TR-4403 for details) and 280K IOPS at 1ms latency for Microsoft SQL Server (see TR-4415 for details). VDI performance is equally impressive with 160K IOPS at ~1ms latency (80% write, 20% read).
The AFF8000 series delivers the most complete all-flash offering for the enterprise. For more information, watch the video below or visit this web page.